Mr. Granquist received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Musicology from Bates College in Lewiston, Maine. Moving to the vibrant, progressive, education community of San Francisco, he worked for 5 years as a 3rd-grade teaching assistant at The San Francisco School while simultaneously being mentored in the Orff Schulwerk approach to music education. After teaching music at various Bay Area schools, Mr. Granquist spent the last 2 years establishing and growing a music program at The Presidio Knolls School, a mandarin immersion, Reggio Emilia-inspired independent school.
Mr. Granquist has completed all three levels of the Orff Certification Course with the world-renowned teachers of the San Francisco International Orff Course. He brings joyful energy and a firm belief in Orff’s power to develop the mind and uplift the soul. When not teaching, Mr. Granquist gigs as a professional drummer and vocalist.
Music Making with Mr. Granquist
Making Music is a Reggio and Project-based Learning inspired music program for grades 2-6 (ages 7-12).
Children will develop their music-making and creating skills and curiosity through exploring the world of music they live and play in. Mr. Granquist inspires music-making, exploration, and discovery through home-based music provocations, song, and percussion activities in a creative context.
Children can join Mr. Granquist on a journey of music-making magic, wonder, and sense-making.
- Music exploration and creativity
- Creativity problem-solving
- Song and lyrical writing skills
- Social-emotional development
- Attentiveness and mental stimulation through music
- Self-expression and story writing with rhyme
- 8 episodes
- 8 music-focused exploration activities
- Exploration of the building blocks of music making
- Role of percussion, song and play in music making
- Sound organization
- Learning guide
- Fun with Rhythm Cards
- Body Percussion and the Rhythm of Words
- Rhythmic notations
- Writing Lyrics
- Movement and Groove
- Call and Response
- Groove and Style